Wan was initially unsure about putting Topo in the film, but was inspired to do so after watching Mad Max: Fury Road (2015), saying, "If that film could have a guy playing a flaming guitar, I'm going to have an octopus drummer in mine."
Furthermore, Thomas Curry has a Lovecraft novel, "The Dunwich Horror", in his house and when Kane appears in his Black Manta suit, he quotes a line from Lovecraft's novel "The Call of Ctulhu".
- Arthur Curry is bare-chested and bearded, which was Aquaman's look in the 1990s
- His brother King Orm is clean-shaven and blonde, which is Aquaman's classic look
- Their ancestor King Atlan's attire is Aquaman's green and gold costume, with a crown and green cloak; this was Aquaman's royal suit in the Alex Ross graphic novel "Kingdom Come". Arthur himself gets this suit, but in its classic design without the crown and cloak, near the end of the film.
- "Orm" means "snake" in Swedish and "worm" in Danish and Norwegian. A fitting name for an antagonist who is not beyond carrying out deceptions.
- "Marius" derives from the Latin words "maris" ("male") and "mare" ("sea") and the Roman god of war Mars. A fitting name for a warmonger from Atlantis.
This is the second superhero film to feature a Pinocchio homage, after Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015).